
While procrastinating about writing a paper I decided what the heck, I'll blog, just for you. Anyways after a few months of indecisiveness I have picked a major, Anthropology. This decision came after a period of self reflection in which I decided that I do not want to conform to preconceived notions of what my parents deem acceptable. Thinking back I don't even know why I wanted to be a pharmacist, I guess my mom felt that having one doctor in the family was good enough and that if I were a pharmacist I could supply mission trips with medicine (seriously... that was my mom's train of thought). I realized though after volunteering in a pharmacy for a year I felt like committing suicide. It was freaking depressing labeling thousands after thousands of bottles and needles. There is only so much monotony I can handle. And while there are different types of pharmacists they all have been associated with boredom in my mind.
I mistakenly told my parents about my academic dilemma and that resulted in freaking questions and demands up the butt. The phrase I heard most often from my dad was "you need a goal, without a goal your wasting time wandering around." He stressed the wasting time part A LOT. My mom on the other hand took the more biblical approach saying "I pray for you," like I was demonically possessed and needed healing. Even Dan was like "dude do something, their getting on my case about you." So with all this pressure from home, I tried to find something I would want to commit my life to. And for a couple weeks it wasn't going very good. However one day while walking through Denny this flyer whips out of nowhere and flutters in front of me. Its title read, New Anthropology Field: Medical Anthropology and Public Health. I was like, what is this? (just like Borat). I noted that there was a reception for the opening of the the new department that day so I went on an impulse. Yadda yadda yadda a couple weeks later I am an anthropology student.
Thinking back on this, I think that flyer was sent by God. Not that I'm a big miracles and signs person but that flyer was very... for lack of a better word, convenient. Without it, I would never have even considered anthropology. These anthropology classes that I am taking this quarter are all very interesting and dare I say fun. And shockingly I attend most of my classes. The keyword is most, although I frequent the media center everyday without fail. I guess a good summation would be don't stress, God provides.
On a different note, I turned 21. I bought my first beer from QFC and it tasted disgusting. I was with Marco at the time and he said, "I think I've had that one before, it tastes pretty good." It did not, I almost vomited on Marco's couch. That being said, I drank 2 of them on an empty stomach. We went out to eat sushi (just a couple of us, I would have invited the usual group but the car was full and was a little inebriated) and lo and behold Sushi Ring was closed. I cried a little on the inside and then we went to Sushi Land. And as Lady Luck is a fickle beast, since Sushi Ring was a new establishment they did not have a liquor license yet, so no alcohol (this is where I started cutting my wrists). After eating we went to Edina and I drank some apple flavored sake (which is pretty good) and shared a bottle of hot sake with Dan. Jungi not being 21 had ice cream and watched.
[And yes, I made the picture]
I mistakenly told my parents about my academic dilemma and that resulted in freaking questions and demands up the butt. The phrase I heard most often from my dad was "you need a goal, without a goal your wasting time wandering around." He stressed the wasting time part A LOT. My mom on the other hand took the more biblical approach saying "I pray for you," like I was demonically possessed and needed healing. Even Dan was like "dude do something, their getting on my case about you." So with all this pressure from home, I tried to find something I would want to commit my life to. And for a couple weeks it wasn't going very good. However one day while walking through Denny this flyer whips out of nowhere and flutters in front of me. Its title read, New Anthropology Field: Medical Anthropology and Public Health. I was like, what is this? (just like Borat). I noted that there was a reception for the opening of the the new department that day so I went on an impulse. Yadda yadda yadda a couple weeks later I am an anthropology student.
Thinking back on this, I think that flyer was sent by God. Not that I'm a big miracles and signs person but that flyer was very... for lack of a better word, convenient. Without it, I would never have even considered anthropology. These anthropology classes that I am taking this quarter are all very interesting and dare I say fun. And shockingly I attend most of my classes. The keyword is most, although I frequent the media center everyday without fail. I guess a good summation would be don't stress, God provides.
On a different note, I turned 21. I bought my first beer from QFC and it tasted disgusting. I was with Marco at the time and he said, "I think I've had that one before, it tastes pretty good." It did not, I almost vomited on Marco's couch. That being said, I drank 2 of them on an empty stomach. We went out to eat sushi (just a couple of us, I would have invited the usual group but the car was full and was a little inebriated) and lo and behold Sushi Ring was closed. I cried a little on the inside and then we went to Sushi Land. And as Lady Luck is a fickle beast, since Sushi Ring was a new establishment they did not have a liquor license yet, so no alcohol (this is where I started cutting my wrists). After eating we went to Edina and I drank some apple flavored sake (which is pretty good) and shared a bottle of hot sake with Dan. Jungi not being 21 had ice cream and watched.
[And yes, I made the picture]
3 comments:
hahaha, interesting how you thought beer was disgusting, and now you're a crazy alcoholic!!
i missed your blogs
yay
etater!
honestly. UPDATTTTEEEEE.
Post a Comment