Saturday, November 15, 2008

the day is mine


As I sit in front of my computer I realize there was no point in turning it on. The motions I follow everyday have become habitual and rather mundane. I have set up several bookmark tabs in my internet browser that I systematically check every time I turn on my computer and during various times of the day. After checking these I reach a metaphoric wall. I have no desire to do anything else. I suppose my problem is that I get bored very easily. After a short period of time I lose the will to continue whatever activity I was doing. Its not like I'm depressed. I don't feel sad or blue, rather I'm just bored.

Studying is a prime example. This morning I found myself sitting in a cafe near UW. The academic material I was reviewing had lost all appeal after a remarkably short time. I looked out the window and saw a weirdly shaped cloud. I immediately stopped studying to examine this cloud's peculiarity. I spent the remainder of the morning sipping coffee and staring at the sky. Its not like I get easily distracted. There were many potential interruptions that I dismissed as inconsequential while I was focused on school. But as I saw this cloud, I had to stop and stare. I was rather shocked to discover I spent nearly an hour doing what most would call nothing.

I came to realize that its not that I don't find anything worthwhile, its just that I dislike complexity. The normal routine of any typical individual is full of things that require too much thought. I guess this is why I spend so much time lounging in my brother's room doing nothing. Even my conversations hold no sophisticated value. I had a conversation with a friend from afar that was typically superficial and made me realize my outlook on life. Looking at the topics within the chat, I noticed that it was mainly comedic. There were no deep thoughts nor any philosophical discussion. The reason for this was me.

Is humor then mundane or complex? No,
humor is very simple. If something strikes an individual as funny, it is humorous. I was watching clips of snl's celebrity jeopardy and I couldn't stop laughing. The sean connery impersonator is especially humorous to me. His line, "the day is mine!" causes me to literally laugh out loud. I find the simple yet vulgar jokes the funniest. Maybe that's why so much of my comments are sarcastic.

I've come to realize that I look for the quintessential elements of life. Anything else while sometimes necessary for survival is simply too troublesome. Simplicity is my saving grace. When trapped in this complex world and bored of it, the simple things in life like humor let me remain sane. After all its my life, and the day is mine!

4 comments:

☆光 said...

sorry for being typically superficial d:


goodness.
i love the way you write.
it feels.. i don`t know, fresh.
smooth like your layout. jk.

you should update often [:
[btw the wordverification is ``horme`` & i am laughing so hard. why are these wordverification words so weird!?]

☆光 said...

OMG THE NEXT ONE IS

PEDNEUPL

lyung said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
lyung said...

Hey Shikamaru, go play shogi.... I think rather than you disliking complexity, you dislike simplicity. You get bored because there is nothing interesting in your routines. On the other hand looking at a cloud for an hour could be seen as quite simple, but the thoughts you think about are probably not...